Are you ready to try this hack?! Learn how to Decoupage a napkin with FIRE. It makes covering wood cutouts with paper napkins so much easier!
This fire hack is super cool to watch as well as SO useful! I can’t imagine trying to trim around all the ins and out of some of these wood cutouts.
DISCLAIMER! You are using fire. Use caution. Be smart. Do this in a well-ventilated area and have some water nearby!
Make sure to check out my mod podge floral paper napkins onto easter eggs.
Supplies to Decoupage a paper napkin
- Paper Napkins (I found a ton of cool patterns at Hobby Lobby)
- wood cutouts
- mod podge or adhesive spray
How to Decoupage a napkin with FIRE
Most paper napkins are two-ply. You need to take the corner and pull the two pieces apart! They actually separate quite easily!
I wanted to try both mod podge AND adhesive spray to see if they both worked. So for this one, we did adhesive spray.
A nice light coat and then place your napkin on top. Keep in mind where the pattern is on the wood.
Smooth out as you are laying the napkin down.
Take scissors and snip off the excess napkin around the wood. The bigger the napkin pieces, the bigger the flame.
Taking your scissors, pop a hole in any insides of letters or designs. This will help the fire grab hold of the napkin easier.
Take your lighter and start it at an edge.
It is fire, so please be careful! You can burn it over a metal sink or a bowl of water.
After the edges are all burned, you just light each little inside piece until all the napkin that is overhanging is gone!
I don’t have any idea how it works- but It does and it’s so cool!
Decoupage with Mod Podge
I had this fun Tic Tac Toe so I painted the board and used this cool Tie Dye Napkin for the X & O’s. I mod podged each little piece and then placed them down on the back of the 1 ply napkin piece. I placed them so each one has a couple colors.
Trim around each piece.
I honestly didn’t notice a difference between mod podge or spray adhesive! Worked about the same! These X & O’s were painted white and I wondered if the paint would affect the way they burn but it was totally fine!
Troubleshooting Paper Napkin Decoupage
- If you are design is too big for the napkins- just use two! You can even line them up so the pattern matched perfectly!
- The fire makes your edges dark. This only happened when I got mod podge on the sides. So be careful when applying the mod podge. You can sand the edges lightly or add some paint for a fun pop! I left mine as is and it barely shows!
- You have Rough Edges. It is fire- so it’s not going to be perfect. You can use a little corner of sandpaper and just rub them right off! It’s pretty easy!
- Do you need to Seal the project? It depends on how much you are using it! The butterfly goes up on the wall so I didn’t seal it. The Tic Tac Toe gets used a lot so I did put a light coat of mod podge over each decoupaged piece.