here’s the tricky part. the top piece is going to be WAY bigger than the bottom. you cut the back piece to size…and the front piece matches up at the bottom and the sides but the top is drastically oversized. here’s a picture of the front piece on the bottom (you may have to squint to see it)
and here’s the front piece on top (are you still squinting?)
you will take the top shoulder pieces and sew them together as normal…this will cause a lot of excess fabric in the chestal area. (i added a little reinforcement around the collar)
after the collar is reinforced..and the shoulders are sewn…i added sleeves…
and sewed down the sides and hemmed the bottom (not the collar yet!) you can see all the droopy fabric.
then you get all fancy and add button holes…ignore the mistake that i made on the left….i was just trying to show you that everyone makes mistakes….
i took a rectangle of fabric and made a decent sized bow…
then i shoved that sucker in one buttonhole and out the next.
causes all that excess of fabric to go to the middle…
but you smoosh it down and pin to the top
i made some bias tape and ran it the length of the collar
sew it around and realized that it makes it so the collar doesn’t fit over my daughter’s head. suck.
head to joanns to buy a zipper.
i snipped right down the back…
and sewed the zipper right on top. good thing exposed zippers are in style!
You are AWESOME Kim! Jared & I have been lovin' your blog. Thank you so much for the support. It's amazing.
MAGUI and mi says
Cute! I want to do it too!!!
Congratulations for your blog!
This is so cool! Love it 🙂 perf for my kids