quiet book/activity binder perfect to keep the kids from making your rip your hair out!!!!

quiet time activity binder--cheap and easy ways to keep your kids entertained.

At my trip to walgreens I picked these up for less than 50 cents…(the red one I actually bought at walmart for $1. What a rip off!)
Decided to make a whole binder of activities. so when you are headed to church or a dentist game or need a quiet activity in the car you’ve got all you need contained into a neat binder
I had every intention of buying a cheap one and dolling it all up–but walmart had these cute ones for only 2.50…and I just couldn’t resist. seriously though…super cute right?
I took my pencil bag…and went through my collection of those dumb little toys that your get at the quarter machines (that every kid LOVEs and every mom LoATHes)
and wrote them all down

and threw them in the pencil bag with a load of beads
(You can beads at the dollar store) ispy bag
I just took some hot glue and just glued up the zipper so the beads all stay put.
fastest and easiest I spy bag EVER.
and I harbor deep love for the I spy bag because I just can’t throw away anything, so it’s a great place to put all that dumb crap you can’t part with.
Next I added some folders
(I got the print outs from this book
click HERE)
I can’t tell if that’s the exact book….but it was a file folder fun from the same author…anyways..they are all awesome.
had to add the hold punches
just a laminated folder and the pictures have tape on them to make them stick.
a color matching one
and a lowercase matching to uppercase folder
added a folder
put in some paper and some stickers
  stickers

decided to add some colored pencils.
cut off the top part of the box
and covered each section in fabric (using hot glue)
hot glued the bottom to the inside of the binder
filled with colored pencils (that I got for less than a dollar!)

so now it has a little lid to make sure the colored pencils don’t go anywhere. colored pencil holder
in the book I added a look and find color book
that’s right..97 cents.
I also have this totally old school face tracing. Where you pick a face, then eyes, and hair and nose etc…Man. I love stuff from my youth. face outline stencil
A do you doodle book would be great in the binder doodle-book-900x600
and you could add any fun felt activity mats (all hot glue)
You can also put in these fun lacing cards DSC05113
and if you are using this for a road trip there is a bunch of printables HERE road-trip-games
so the cost breakdown:
39 cent pencil bag
2.50 binder
15 cent folder
89 cent colored pencils
beads $1
97 cent coloring book
the files I already had down..but I own THIS laminator…which makes it pretty cheap to laminate stuff!
I won’t try to add that up… but we will say a reasonable amount….
but entertainment for the kids: priceless. easy kids activity binder diy

Comments

1. I'm organizing a Super Saturday and had already decided on the I Spy Pencil Pouches as one of our projects. But I really, really LOVE the bead idea! That will cut our costs in half! Thank you so much. I love your blog, I always leave inspired!

~Krista

2. These are so cute that I feature them in my Friday Fave 5 Post over at my blog, you should check it out!

3. SO cool!

4. I love the I Spy envelope.

5. The I spy is adorable! Some of the ones you buy at boutiques are so tiny, that is the perfect size. Lovin' your cleverness:)

6. I love the I Spy idea!!! Brilliant.

7. I love it! I need to make one of these for my 4 year old while we wait for my 6 year old in the pick up line at school! Join my link Party!

terelauritsen.blogspot.com

8. Celeste B. says:

Absolutely amazing, so creative!!! Love it!!! 🙂

9. cute…

10. This is fantastic! I'll be featuring this on my blog on the 16th! Thanks for sharing!

11. Cute ideas – I what a fun binder! I love the spy bag idea, too. Wouldn't it be great to make one of these up so it would be new just before a long car trip with a little one (as long as the little one is not prone to motion sickness:)

12. Great Idea! Visiting from New Friend Fridays!

13. You are brilliant. I Spy Bags in Pencil holders? BRILLIANT. Seriously. The whole binder I love. I am so loving this. I really need some new church activities. Cheapest and easiest bags. Love all of it. Thank you, thank you for linking this up. It is going on my list (at the top end) of things to do.

14. I will be doing this one. My kids are out of control during church–this will help a lot.

15. Practically Spent says:

They I Spy is spectacular. It's one of those "why didn't I think of that" things. Thanks!

16. This is so awesome! My kids would love this and its such an easy alternative to a quiet book.

p.s. I'll be featuring this next Friday.
    crystalscraftspot.blogspot.com

17. This is SSOOO Much fun! I love it! TFS!

18. elizabeth @ twelvecrafts says:

Hopping over from Somewhat Simple. This is so clever! I've been wanting to do an activity book, but not a felt one so this is fabulous . . . love it!

19. Thanks for sharing at Make it Fantabulous! This is really a great idea. I love that you used colored beads!

20. Katie Riddle says:

GENIUS!!! I MUST make four of these ASAP; before Sunday, even.

21. The Activity Mom says:

This is so cool! Love it!

22. Kara and Glen says:

Great idea. I wonder if I can get stuff together and make one before Sunday. 🙂

I say…

Keeping the kid quiet through church…priceless.

23. I love this idea. It's totally something to take to the doctor's office, in the car, anywhere you need portable fun. Thanks 🙂

24. Amy @MoMomma says:

Super great Idea! I had to keep reading to see how you sealed the bag. I know my boys would figure out a way to open it! LOL Thanks for posting each step. This will be a life saver at church.

25. This is awesome. Seriously. I love the "I spy". I love the "school stuff." And I love love love the colored pencil case. Thanks for the inspiration

26. I have seen this floating around pinterest and I am glad I finally clicked on it. It will be perfect for our trip to ID next week! And it's a great way to give each of the girls some of the file folders I've made already.

27. SERIOUSLY! Everything in ONE binder for church! AND for each KID! Thank you!

28. Carita De Angel says:

Whattt a great idea..thanks soon much for sharriing!..btw..I'm adding a small puzzle..and a matching card game ..(I'm not sure if that is how u call it) lol..
    I have a new born ..so my 2 n 4 y/o/ need to get busy in the sacramental metting!

29. I love your I Spy bag…what an easy way to do it. We did one in RS when my 10 yr old was little and it involved sewing, etc. not that I'm against sewing, but this will take so much less time 🙂 And pony beads are cheaper than the stuff we used then. I have a question regarding your file folder games. You said you put tape on the pieces so they stick…do you just roll up a piece of tape and stick them on the back and do it that way…how to you store them then – just stick them to the side of the folder? I've made several of these for my 2 & 5 year olds and I've used velcro which can be so loud during Sac. Mtg. I've seen ideas about using magnets, but my 2 yr old would yank, peel or whatever to get them off and put them in her mouth so they aren't exactly the safest way to go. Velcro works great but is noisy so I'm trying to find an alternative. Anyway, LOVE your idea for the pencil holder too. So glad I saw this on pinterest.
    Beth
    [email protected]

30. i did this for my daughter a few years ago for a road trip and even today she still loves to use it and she is 9yrs old i think this would be a great easter gift to.

31. Andie Pandie says:

I am so glad that I found this! I bought a whole bunch of these at a local Wal-Mart for only a NICKEL apiece!!! I'm going to use them to make gifts, like 72 hour kit pouches and this is perfect for my nieces and nephews who have to travel 3-4 hours to come visit me! Thank you for posting this, now I have a fun thing I can make for them that won't take very long! I also love the idea of having a whole binder full of activities for kids. I don't have any children yet, so I spoil my nieces and my nephews instead 🙂

32. I see this is an older post, but I just saw it (from Pinterest). Just HAD to tell you that this is GENIUS!!!

33. St. Anne's Helper says:

I'm so glad I found this on Pinterest! What a great idea! You are one bright and industrious Mom.

You're braver than I with all those little pieces, though. They'd be all over my floor or the car.

An idea: Make a binder cover that has the zipper closure and a handle or strap like a courier bag. Why? 'Cuz I know who gets to carry these treasures!

Have a great day!

34. Shahidul Islam says:

INCREDIBLE THINKING!! You did really making sense. My little baby girl like different things to do and I think this will be enjoyable for me also.

35. Отличные идеи,спасибо!!!

1. […] – Use a binder to create a quiet time activity book for the kids From A Girl and a Glue […]

2. […] and throw in some cute buttons and random things around the house.  This genius idea came from A Girl and a Glue Gun, so be sure to check hers out.  She made hers using beads instead of poly-pellets.  The pellets I […]