cardboard playhouse

You’ve seen the felt houses.

You’ve seen the ones you can buy at walmart for hundreds of dollars.

Introducing:

The cardboard playhouse.

Cost:  maybe $10

STart with a BIG box:

lucky for me my sis in law just unpacked her new stove!!!!
cut out some windows and a door
start painting.
For the roof: I went to this awesome “teacher” store and found a huge roll of this corrugated trim (it’s for bulletin boards)
oh yes, this is my favorite part! 3.29. for a roof. It tears apart into a wavy line.
hot glued that around…then I didn’t tear it apart and just applied the strips all along the top.
 Made some shutters
and a mailbox out of:
and some mail:
Made some leaves:
and flowers for the leaves:
put them in a flower box….
(Just a rectangle and on the sides some triangles)
Made a welcome mat welcome mat
and what house is complete without that sign

needed a picket white fence

needed an address so the post man can deliver the mail…
oh…and some cardboard curtains…

put it all together and what do you get?
hours of cheap fun.
put in a doggy door
Thanks for all who voted for this playhouse on S.Y.T.Y.C!!!! I am so excited to be in the top TEN!!!

Comments

1. Love love this! I would totally make one for myself… if I weren't 25. 🙂 Thankfully I've got a little four-year-old friend who will love something like this, even if it isn't as grand as this one. 🙂

2. What a great idea, Kim. Great job and good luck with SYTYC. I'm excited to see what you come up with next.

3. This is SO cute! I think I would add a little skylight so I could peep in at the little one. 🙂

4. Too cute!!!!!! Love it! I want to play in there!

5. WOW! I want to come play! This is absolutely amazing!! It brings back lots of happy memories of playing in refrigerator boxes when we were kids. Thanks for sharing!

6. Congrats Kimbo! i follow SYTYC and can't wait to see what crafts you make.

~L~
    Fashion DIY @ Avid Accents

7. Adorable! You make it seem like you whipped it up in like 10 mins too 🙂 Lucky girls you have!

8. Fabulous!! That came out so cute! I will have more fun making things like that for Avery then she probably will playing in it lol!

9. So adorable!

10. This is so cute!! I can't wait til my boy gets older so I can make one!! (not pink, ofcourse. . . maybe a firehouse or something!!)

11. Susie and Cody says:

Hey I loved this!!! Did you just use hot glue for everything that you had to glue on?

12. It is awesome!

13. Stephanie Cameron says:

I voted for you!! Too cute! Where did you get the huge box?

14. Goings on at the Glenn's says:

such a cute idea! Love it. I made a felt playhouse for my kids to turn the bottom bunk into a playhouse, but I love the cardboard idea! So fun!

15. Shel at Dreamy Nest says:

WOW! Will you be my mommy?
    That is adorable!

16. Rhiannon says:

oh I just adore it!!! and i love the no soliciting sign on the front door, can you make one for my house? 😉

17. ebeepaperie says:

Oh my gosh! That is so cute!

18. This is so darn cute I can't stand it! I'd make one for myself if no one would find me there!

But for Grandson? I think it'll probably be Thomas the train. But thanks for the idea. He'll love it! Now, just gotta find some big boxes!

19. Jen @ lil Mop Top says:

Super cute! We just made a 'playhouse' out of a cardboard box for my son but it just had a door and window….and that is it! So when we bought him a real playhouse yesterday, he really stepped up in life. 🙂 Your house put John's crappy box to shame!!

20. C.R.A.F.T. says:

this is AMAZING! come on over and link up to MMM

21. tonyastaab.com says:

I absolutely LOVE this. I have so many packing boxes taking over the garage that I think I'll make one of these over the summer vacation. Awesome!

22. Kim @ Starshine Chic says:

It's fabulous!!!! Just don't leave it out in the rain.

23. Brilliant! You have such amazing attention to detail!

24. This is so adorable and looks like lots of fun to make :-). Great job!

25. Jilly Beanz Thingz says:

OMG that is crazy! Super cute. What a lucky little girl you have 🙂

26. Dewi Citra Sari says:

OMG !
    It's you the super handy crafter on SYTYC !
    I didn't know that was yours
    Goodluck!!

27. Cara @ Whimsy Smitten says:

Oh my goodness, I am IN LOVE. That is SO cute — I'm just in awe. I almost just burned a whole pile of huge boxes from moving, but now I can't wait to go leaf through them and see what I can create. Thanks for the inspiration — what an AWESOME little playhouse, and you sure can't beat the price! 🙂

28. LOVE IT! My dad is a packing designer and he once designed a cardboard gingerbread house for Christmas pics one year. Once we took a bunch of cute pics, all the kids got to decorate it with crayons and markers…tons of fun! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

29. Genius!!!

30. You have GOT to be kidding me! This turned out too flippin' adorable! I found you through All Thingz Related, and this is just a heavy dollop of thrifty mom genius.

31. This is unbelievable, Kimbo! I love it!

32. Beat Until Fluffy says:

I would like one of these now, even though I'm 35. Definitely going to make one of these for my little girl, she'll adore it. Found you at The Girl Creative late last night. Happy Monday, even though it's Tuesday now. =)

~Dawn

33. TOTALLY voted for this!!!! congrats on the top 10! i DIE over this, like DIE! my girls would completely freak out if i did this, they would each want one… i gotta get to work!!!

sisters4saymoreismore.blogspot.com

34. This is an absolute winner! What a fabulous idea and all the little crafty things that really made it a wonderfully whimsical play house. Not to mention we who decide to make one of our own can make it our own with our own coloring and design,i.e., butterflies, birds, flowers, bushes, berries…I'm going nuts just thinking of all the possibilities. Fabulous share! Fabulous.

Haupi

35. It turned out so cute. Thanks for sharing. I already bought my materials for the felt version…but this seems like it might be easier…I just don't know if I have the patience to paint it all. Great job!

Tricia Leafytreetopspot.blogspot.com

36. I LOVE this! Totally going to make one for my girls… once I find a big enough box! 🙂

37. brandi @ tales of a domestic goddess says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! how cute is this?!?

38. New follower from TTA – hope to see you at Dropped Stitches!

xo Erin

39. I'm a new follower from Tuesday Tag-Along.
    I hope you'll come check me out at PS Mom Reviews and follow me too!

40. I am popping over from Santa's Gift Shoppe. A new follower. Feel free to follow back 🙂

[email protected],laugh,love,create 🙂

(paisleyinspirations.blogspot)

41. Thanks for linking up at Take-A-Look Tuesday. Just wanted to give you a heads up that I featured you today! – Mandy, http://www.craftedition.blogspot.com

42. I want a big cardboard box now!!

43. I loved this idea so much, I featured it today with a roundup of fun summer ideas!

Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    ~Alison

44. Michelle says:

so cute! What little kids wouldn't love this and for $10.00 and a little elbow grease you can't go wrong!

45. Wow! This is amazing! You are so creative.
    You can follow me back at http://www.pbandjoy.com/
    EnJOY your day!

46. Truly genius! What a great idea that will get hours of play time!

47. [email protected] says:

This is too cute I love it

48. This is the coolest playhouse!! So fun!

49. That is awesome! I did this for my son when we bought a freezer but it didn't look nearly as cute as yours!

50. Kim @ seven thirty three says:

I saw this over at SYTYC and was so happy to find out you made it in! Can't wait to see what you come up with. 😉

Thanks for linking up with Sugar & Spice.

51. mommy2luke2008 says:

I love this!!! I am featuring this on my friday favorites http://www.lilbitofus.blogspot.com Sorry I don't have a direct link, but I'm scheduling it today to post for tomorrow.

52. Soooooo incredibly dazzling!!!!! Love it! Love! Love it!

53. That is adorable! How Fun!
    Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related!

54. absolutely adorable!! thanks for linking it up at Fine Craft Guild DIY Linky party

Do join again with an equally great tutorial next party, will ya? It opens Wednesday and you can reach it from our homepage.

:0-)

55. absolutely adorable!! thanks for linking it up at Fine Craft Guild DIY Linky party

:0-)

56. Courtney says:

Kimbo this is soooo cute!! I'm definitely making one for my little boy-he will love it!

57. Laura @ Just For Love says:

Get. Out. Of. Here. No way!! That is insanely adorable!! My sis and I have a fridge/stove appliance store right across the street and we've often talked about getting a few boxes to do this. Oh my goodness, seeing your little house makes me want to make my son a "play house" sooo bad now!

I am so your new follower, girl. Awesome job and awesome post. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Lots of love,
    Laura

P.S. Found you through Whatever Goes Wednesday!

58. SOO cute!!
    Love it! I think you should win this round of iron crafter 🙂
    Awesome.

59. Cindy Adkins says:

Gorgeous!! And simply precious!!!!
    xox

60. Congrats!!! You made it in to the Iron Crafter TOP TEN!!

Come and check it out here:

61. So cute! Your creative genes are really going on this one.

62. Yup, just voted in the top 10. And now I'll be on the look out for a big box. I've heard you can go to big stores and ask them for a box, I might try it soon. Thist would be a great activity for a rainy day!

63. [email protected] says:

This looks so much easier than the felt houses! Simply adorable!

64. We completely concede! Your project is awesome, the tutorial is cool, and we'll get you next time!

65. elizabeth @ twelvecrafts says:

Congrats Kimbo on The Iron Crafter win! Great project. Now if you could just find a way to mass produce those for the rest of us. 😉

66. "AAmores" Crafts, Sewing and other Stuff says:

I love this house! I want to make one today lol. I will be making one for my daughter and I want to make one for my son also… I have to think about a boys theme house hehe.. thank you so much for this great idea.

67. Bec @ Bad Mummy says:

So cute! I love the "no soliciting" sign on the door 😀

68. so cute! love this idea!

69. This is adorable. Every year in the summertime I get huge sofa boxes from a local furnature store for my boys to make into forts – I just love to see them being creative. It becomes very serious business. We are not allowed to throw them out! LOL! We will have to jazz them up next summer with some paint. Thanks for the inspiration! Such detail! LOVE IT!

70. It's very cute… I had one made from my mom when I was a kid and it was great!

71. Cara @ Twice Lovely Furniture says:

Um, why didn't you win the CSI challenge with your playhouse?? I mean, what is UP? This is freakin AWESOME! You get my comment for the day.

72. Oh so cute! I love the fence, the flowers…oh heck…I LOVE it all! I am on a cardboard frenzy these days and just finished a project myself. I wish I had gone looking for others who had done the same thing first…but now that just gives me more inspiration to build more!

I would love to share mine with you, if you would like to see what we did it can be found at http://thecraftyrecycler.blogspot.com/

73. No soliciting! You successfully made me laugh for a whole three minutes.

1. […] fazla ayrıntı burada 🙂 […]

2. Design News / Obsessed: Refrigerator Boxes Playhouses says:

[…] coolest parents behind these masterpieces can be found at a beautiful mess | a girl and a glue gun | rust and sunshine | my […]

3. […] doll bed 11. cars, stoplights and road signs 12. reading car 13. cardboard playhouse 14.laptop 15. kitchen 16.spaceship  17. ball maze. 18. fruit […]

4. […] adorable. And there’s a pretty little window box with flowers on the other side. Head over to A Girl and a Glue Gun to check out all of the […]

5. […] be made into? A space ship? An ice cream shop? A car? Then I saw an amazing cardboard playhouse on Girl With a Glue Gun.  Of course! What kid doesn’t want to feel like they have their own mini home where they can […]