car mat

I know there are a lot of felt stuff out there. And I have seen some freakin cute ones. (serious those felt playhouses blow my mind!!!)  My nephew’s birthday was coming up and he LOVES cars. Loves them. and I knew I wanted to make him a felt car activity mat. (all hot glue of course cause those sewing ones are TIME CONSUMING!)

Went and bought some felt

THis pile cost me $12. But as I am starting…I probably have enough for two activity mats and BIG quiet book….hey you can never have enough felt!!!
Cut a big square (I think its 36 inches by 36 inches) I bought a yard at Joanns (their felt is taller than walmart) and This is that yard just cut in half
And I took 3 inch strips of my red felt and binded the sides…using my hot glue
Just started hot gluing in the middle and worked my way around
see my vacuumn. THat is what I am supposed to be doing  instead of crafting.
STarted with my garage….and started the roads from there
I layed them all out before..to make sure they would all connect. Then hot glued them down.
The garage is just three pockets
THen I just started adding fun stuff. I included where his mom and dad works, His house on the hill, his grandpa’s farm and a SUPER walmart…cause what’s a town without a super walmart!
(see my little redbox by walmart (i heart redbox))
and the flowers by the hospital are for the sick people (according to my daughter–she was helping me! and it was so fun..except when I couldn’t make the slide look right so I said that the park would just have swings…she really wanted the slide!)
and it rolls up nice and small
And I am happy to report HE LOVES IT! So much that there was a big fight when the other kids wanted to play with it! TRUE Success!
And I have so much felt left over I am going to have to make my son one….and my daughter (princess style!)
and did you see this cute my little pony mat? I love it!
Smashed Peas and Carrots made this awesome thing!!!
update:
have you seen my other felt mat versions?

Comments

1. Alright my dear, you are entirely too talented! I cannot believe this!! Perhaps if I have leftover felt from my quiet book I will attempt such a feat!!

PS How do you cut out such cute felt letters?!

• tierni moore says:

Take freezer paper and iron it on to the felt … then cut. this prevents the felt from moving while trying to cut your pattern out.

2. first of all: i am your newest follower!

second: oh my goodness! you are a felt rockstar!

i found you from a post you wrote on someones blog… I AM SO HAPPY I AM HERE! WAY CUTE BLOG!

i know its not friday follow anymore, but feel free to check me out sometime:

greensubmarinediydesign.blogspot.com

3. Hi there,

Found you through Trendy Treehouse, and I'm now following! You've got some amazing stuff on your blog! Looking forward to exploring it some more!!

Jill

4. This is so cute – I LOVE all the little details and the way you personalised it for him 🙂

5. This is super cool!

6. Jen @ lil Mop Top says:

So cute! it looks like it took you FOREVER! Hopefully I can try that one day. Love that you did it without sewing! 🙂

7. ellie g says:

Ummmm…that is absolutely darling. You are a genius. (and felt is genius as well…but it seems like you already know that)

8. Wow, My son would love this. So cute!

9. [email protected] says:

you're my idol.

10. [email protected] says:

Adorable! And, yes…how do you cut out such cute felt letters? And how much fabric of each color did you buy? Going this week to get some. Totally inspired!

11. Amazing! My kids would flip over something this amazing. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

12. OH MY HECK! That playmat is adorable AND so detailed!! I LOVE IT!!! Great job, great job, great job!!!
    -Mags

13. Amy @ Positively Splendid says:

You have once again outdone yourself! This is absolutely amazing, Kimbo!

14. So cute!! I love this.. I think i'm going to make this for the little boy I babysit for. super cute.

Im following you… i couldn't remember if was already.. but I definitely am now 😛

15. Of course he loved it! What's there not to love? Geat job. I gotta get me a glue gun.

16. This is beyond cute!

17. Amy @ Positively Splendid says:

I have this project highlighted on my blog today. 🙂

Take care!
    Amy

18. Amazing!! I really want to make one of these for my little guy. Did you hot glue it all really? No sewing? I'm following your blog now too, keep the good stuff coming!

19. Kim @ seven thirty three says:

WOW! That is one LUCKY boy. What an awesome mat!

I've made several activity mats for different kids in the last year, but none this big!

Thanks for linking up with What are little boys made of?

20. Dawn Michelle says:

What a GREAt idea! Thanks for sharing!

21. You must put this in your etsy shop! my boy is turning 3 at the end of may and would LOVE this, but i'm just not that creative! please, make more!!!

22. Visiting from TGC – love the car mat. So creative!

23. Hello, girl after my own heart, I too can only use glue, and I'm not ashamed to say it! I absolutely love this, the little one is having a Cars party coming up and I need to make this…oh and I would love to share with my raders!

24. Very VERY cute! I always have loved these! When I have a boy I am for sure going to attempt to make one! Thanks so much for linkin' up with us this week! Good Job!

25. Super cute. I think I try to make one of these. Thanks for sharing.

26. Oh my gosh! That is the cutest homemade toy I have EVER seen and I a a retired Preschool teacher! I might have to make one for my grandkids playroom! Well done!

~Rainey~

27. Jamie Lane says:

This is so adorable! I am here from New Friend Friday – hope you stop by to visit!

28. Wow! you are so talented! I want to make one for my son, he will love it.

29. That's awesome! Dropping by from New Friend Friday! If you have any flower projects I am hosting a Flower Week linky party. http://singingthreelittlebirds.blogspot.com/2010/05/flower-week-linky-party.html
    Hope you'll check it out!

30. This is such a fun mat! My little girl really loves cars, so I for sure need to make one for her! Thanks for the tut!

31. Your nephew is one blessed little boy!! He will LOVE it!! You did an incredible job!! Thank you for sharing!!

32. Wow this is AWESOME! I love that you can customize it for the recipient – such a great idea!! I'm sure you're nephew will LOVE it! Thanks for sharing 🙂

33. Totally awesome! Love the little baseball field!! Great job!

34. Seriously adorable!

35. SO cute!! My daughter would love that too.
    Londen

36. So cute!! My son would love it!! Awesome job!!

Thanks for stopping over to visit me 🙂

37. Hi!

This is amazing! You have inspired me so! My youngest will be 2 in August, so I'm going to go ahead and see if I can create something as beautiful!

I just now found your blog and had to smile at your name…I can so relate, 'cause I just don't sew, but love all things etsy!

I just did a post and tutorial on a No-Sew Caterpillar and Butterfly! Hope you will pop over and come and have a look.

Kind regards,
    Georgia (www.allthingschildren.blogspot.com)

38. [email protected] says:

Oh I need one of those!! You did a wonderful job! Thanks for linking up!

39. This is the coolest thing EVER!! I have three little ones that will be eternally grateful to you

40. This is amazing! Thanks for sharing! I'd love it if you'd come link up to Tot Tuesdays: http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/

41. My son would have loved this when he was little. So, so cute! Thanks for planting your creative seeds at Plant a Punkin Seed Party. Come back again on Friday!

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

42. That is just gorgeous. I love making stuff out of felt. Another project to add to the list!

43. Stephanie Cameron says:

That is seriously adorable!! My nephew would love one as well! Maybe for his birthday!! Thanks!

44. Super cute! Love it! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

Ginger
    SSB

45. craftedbymama says:

this is so cute! what a lucky boy
    amy

46. Thanks for linking up to Tot Tuesdays! I love this mat & I featured you last Tuesday. Sorry I suck & didn't stop by sooner to let you know. Feel free to grab my featured button (under "buttons" in my menu bar). Have a great week!

47. Just wanted to let you know that you were featured today here:

Feel free to snag my Featured button! Thanks!
    Ginger
    SSB

48. Brittany says:

LOVE this! I always planned on making one of these, but just thought I'd make it with markers and a sheet, like my mom did. But, this is so much cuter with the felt!! LOve it. Thanks for the idea. I'm featuring it on my blog this month. 🙂 little-inspirations.blogspot.com

49. Lindsey says:

This is so incredibly cute and a great idea! I'm making one right now for a friend's birthday party. One question – how did you get such great mitered corners? I don't do a lot of sewing and I've never done felt corners that well!

50. [email protected] says:

Seriously so so cute! I can't believe you used a glue gun- 🙂 I have one about 1/2 way done-but I am so linking this cutie when I publish mine 😉 very cute- love it.

51. I really love this! I am making one for my stepson's birthday! Going tomorrow to get the goods, but I don't know how much felt to get.

Also, how did you attach the ties for rolling up?

52. ♥ Carine Calé ♥ says:

Thank you very much!!!!

Carine

53. love love love this!! you are one talented lady!!!

xo
    monica

54. alison @ adventures at home says:

Thank you so much for posting this–I just finished mine! http://at-home-adventures.blogspot.com/2010/12/homemade-gifts-car-playmat.html

55. Oh, my gosh! Wow. You did a great job on this and I am totally bookmarking it for a future project….

56. Mommy on the go! says:

This is awesome! I just posted a link to it on my blog:

57. Mommy on the go! says:

You have inspired me! Check my blog (in a few days) and you'll start to see my play mat! I can't wait to finish this for my son!

58. The Iowa Farmer's Wife says:

LOVE this and wanted to let you know I made one for my daughter and encouraged my readers to let you know if they ended up making one too. Thanks for the awesome idea!

59. So cute, I wish you had a pattern for all the cute cut outs.

60. Kevin and Stephanie says:

Thank you for inspiring me! I made one of these awesome felt car mats for my little guy for Cmas and he loved it! If you want to check it out here it is: http://sghouseofg.blogspot.com/2011/01/most-ambitious-cmas-craft-present-ive.html
    I also linked back to you in that post.

61. I LOVE my glue gun!!! This blog is amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!

62. Oi amei essa idéia desse tapete!!!!Parabéns!!!Eu sou professora de educação infantil de creche e sempre procuro idéia novas para entreter as crianças e essa idéia é maravilhosa!!!
    Bjos Rommy
    blog:rommy-ateliesdasflores.blogspot.com

63. Sassy Sites! says:

{SEW}cute!! My little boy needs one of these for sure!! Thanks for joining our link up party over at Sassy Sites! Happy Wednesday! xoxo!!

Marni @ Sassy Sites!

64. I've put together a round up of fun family activity projects on Craft Gossip today and included your post. 🙂 You can see it here

I included your pay mat from Idea Room too!

65. mommy2luke2008 says:

This is amazing! I love all the little details! My son would have a ball with this! I featured it on my friday favorites!

66. Hi there!

I have just done a post about my car mat and linked back here to you, 'cause you were my wonderful inspiration!

Here's the link

Hope you will pop over!

Georgia

67. Parabéns pelo belíssimo trabalho.
    Grande beijo!
    Flavinha

68. Obviously you know this (you have a ton of comments) but you are AWESOME!!! Seriously!! I love felt and hot glue and this is perfect!!!! Love it!!

69. I loved your tutorial ,thanks for sharing I am linking to your page form my blog.
    Patty

70. Kim @ seven thirty three says:

I made one for my son and he is in love. You can check it out here (with props to AGAAGG of course!):

71. THANKS YOU SOOOO MUCH for this insperation:) I am just starting this for my sons christmas:) i will be sure and link back:) LOVE IT!!!!
    xoxo
    ash

72. What size did you make the travel mat???
    Do you have any templates??

73. Love these play mats! I linked you up in my DIY Matchbox car post today http://onceuponasewingmachine.com/diy-matchbox-car-roundup/

74. Melissa Ryan says:

New follower here. I am making a car mat similar to this for Christmas for my 18 month old. Your blog makes me feel creative (and I am not so this could be a disaster. haha)

75. Love this – a couple questions
    Is it washable? Does the hot glue show through in little hard spots on the side? And one more thing, did you just cut strips of long red felt for the side binding and hot glue them together is there 2 layers of green?

Sorry, trying to make this soon- wanna get it right!!

• as long as you hot glue like crazy…it’s washable. My only concern is the little tiny pieces…! hot glue and felt are pretty much a match made in glue heaven and hold very well together!!!

the binding is strips that I just sandwiched along the edges…only 1 layer of green!

1. […] Car Mat by a Girl and a Glue Gun Haul it outside or leave it inside, this car mat is to die for! […]

2. […] from A Girl and a Glue Gun, The Creative Vault, Glued to my Crafts, and Oopsey Daisy […]

3. […]  hot glue felt activity mat (batman, littlest pet shop, princess, cars!) […]

4. Easy No Sew Play Mat | ClutterBug.Me says:

[…] Got the idea from this super awesome play mat from:http://www.agirlandagluegun.com/2010/05/car-mat.html […]

5. […] sure to whip up a car mat to go with your all […]

6. […] and a day ago I whipped up this Felt car mat out of hot glue and […]

7. […] felt car mat from A Girl and A Glue Gun is totally customizable and can roll up to be put […]