the curiously strong mint

This is how this post originally started:

My husband has an old altoid tin that he dumps all his gum in.

It was ugly.

Okay, not ugly. It was just an altoid tin. Boring.

paper, stickers. HOT GLUE

much better. I’m sure that if my husband sat still for too long–I’d probably try to hot glue stuff to him too….

So. That is how my original post started. I do a few of these quick litle posts that I  keep ready in case of sickness or a slow crafting week or JURY DUTY (which I have on Friday–which would be cool but I live in Idaho were nothing happens (which is one reason I love where I live…just not for jury duty purposes.)Nothing major…

BUT then that started me thinking of all the uses these little tins could have.

So I went to my parents house and  begged off a few altoid tins from my mom (I dumped their poor mints into a baggie! THanks mom and and dad! love you!)

And one got turned into a first aid kit for my car (I have to have bandaids at all times! I swear…my kids could break their arm and I could put a bandaid on it and they would totally act okay.

Filled it with
yes, a hair band and a dollar are must haves.
Perfect for you purse or glove compartment in your car.
(sidenote: also a great size to hold your womanly ahem…unmentionables?) just don’t let your husband mistake them for mints and pull them out in public.! Maybe you could make a skull and cross bones sign for the front…or a biohazard sign.)
anyways…back to the task at hand….
and then a crayon holder for my purse (those crayon rolls get broken in the oasis that is my purse…I needed something a little more heavy duty.)

Made a little pocket for paper
cut down some paper to fit
(or you could just fold up some coloring pages)
great for restaurants  or waiting rooms.

and while I was at my parents house..I noticed that my dad keeps all his tie tacks and man jewelry in an old altoid tin (see where I get it from?) and I made him something to decorate it with (abs is his intials)

( the least I could do for swiping all their tins!)

AND THEN I continued making so many  different kind of tin stuff that I had to split this up into multiple posts…so tune in tommorow for more tins………oh the anticipation!!!!

you can go HERE to see the game versions:

and this one with magnetic funny faces

and this checker game one

Comments

1. How fun, so man great ideas, the crayon one is genius!

2. I love these! Makes me want to go out and buy several tins of altoids just so I can make this stuff πŸ™‚ Great, great ideas.

3. those are sooo cute! i wish i could pull it off myself….haha.

4. Kim @ seven thirty three says:

Love the crayon tin. That's great! These are perfect for giving gift cards/money (blasphemy, I know, but sometimes its necessity!).

5. [email protected] Nice Thing says:

These are adorable, loved the crayon one too. I am always looking for ways to carry my kids crayons and I love this one. Thanks for sharing.

6. Nice! the crayon tin is so cute. at first i was wondering why you have crayons in your purse, but if you have kids it would be good to have on hand. great ideas!

7. I love these tins too! I made emergency lunch money one for my daughter. love the crayon one great idea!

8. What fun ideas! I love the first aid kit and the crayon one is genius! I may have to buy some altoids just for the tin:)

9. What a great Idea. I really need the first aid one. I NEVER have band-aids in my purse and I often need them. LOL. And I would use one for the gum that I have to have in my purse but never stays in the package so it is getting nasty in the bottom of my purse. Now I need to buy some Altoids.

10. What great ideas! They all look fantastic! Can't wait to see your other ones!

11. PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

I'm confused, your husband put his old chewed gum in the tin?? Hmm.. LOL

They are so very cute!!

12. Anonymous says:

Except for the bandaids, which is obvious, Where did you get all the pocket sized stuff to put in the first aid kit?

13. Love the crayon idea!! My crayon roll gets lost and crayons broken in my purse too. Family Fun magazine had some cute ones they did too. The put eyes and mouths on magnets so the little ones could make faces.. Still haven't made any yet but after seeing yours… guess I will have to!

14. Very cute!! Love the idea to have something handy for the kids to do in such a tiny package! Would the crayons melt in a hot car though?

15. Neccie's Creations says:

I love this idea for tins. I would of never thought of that. The first aid kit tin is a must have for everyone.

16. Holly @ Roller Coaster Life says:

ohhh my gosh!!!!!! im going to start collecting tins!!! thanks. a. lot.

and ahem….

"I'm sure that if my husband sat still for too long–I'd probably try to hot glue stuff to him too…." – that for real made me laugh out loud and every one is starring at me!! but holy cow that was super hilarious!!! I may bookmark and come back to that quote over and over and over! HAAH im still laughing!

17. Love the first aid one. I have to do this!

18. Nicki Mc says:

I love the crayon holder. I have a friend going on a trip and I just made one of these for her daughter in about 15 minutes. To compensate for the molded/bumpy top, I used a cute printed file folder (purchased at Micheals for $1). I had a folder left over from another project.

19. So cute! My daughter will love this.

20. Kat @ Black Kats Design says:

I have an Altoids tin project sitting on my to-do list. I'm going to make a card holder for all my warehouse/frequent shopper cards. Yours look great!

Kat
    BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

21. This is a great idea! I love the variety of uses you found for these tins. And you made them all so cute!

Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy Session with Life in the Pitts!

22. I love this so much, I featured it today πŸ™‚

23. Mommyto2 says:

totally cool!! love the crayon one! Might have to copy it

24. Alli Blue says:

I found this on Pinterest! Oh how I love it! I started following you too! You are funny and I like it!!! πŸ™‚ I am an Idaho girl too!~

25. Love these ideas! I keep my bobby pins in an altoid case but I'm going to have to dump them out and do one of these. Can't wait to see the rest of your ideas πŸ™‚

26. Very cute! Love the first aid kit.

27. Real Life Deals says:

Love them! These are great! pinned the picture! πŸ™‚ btw: I have a blog directory too! I'd love to have your blog listed! http://hobbiesonabudget.com/local-blog-directory/

28. Marnie Craycroft says:

Love the crayons and paper idea. I used it this past weekend. It is so portable!

29. Tabitha Teeter says:

How do you seal the paper-spray acrylic? I'm new to the glue gun and paper crafting stuff.

30. SewKlassic says:

I love these projects. You are very creative πŸ™‚

31. I am definitely making the crayon one and probably putting them in Easter baskets! Thank you for the post!

1. […] a crayon box inspired by A Girl and a Glue Gun. Β The kids will use this with a doodle book I picked up, and in random restaurants I’m sure. […]

2. […] Use an old mint tin to create this tiny traveling companion. There is even a pocket to keep blank paper for coloring on the go. Β Via A Girl and a Glue Gun […]