What’s for dinner?

oh, dinner. Just like laundry..no matter how many times you do it it still needs to be done.
And i am horrible at planning out dinners.
horrible.
My kids are starting to hate Mac and cheese.
Which is why this idea is the bestest idea ever.
And that is why all my sisters got together to make one.
Supplies:
12×12 frame (mine has a back attached to it), paper, and a clear calendar(see bottom of the post for details)
magnetic primer
(it’s on the more expensive side..but worth it! had a problem with the spray paint kind!)
Some magnets
Paint
A list of recipes printed out
Prime your frame with the magnet stuff (3 light coats)
And while that is drying….cut out your recipes and mount them on cute paper
(make sure they fit in the squares of the calendar)
You’ll need a piece of paper for the background.
(My sister is aspiring to be a hand model…isn’t she great!)
Once the paint is dry…paint over the outside edge with paint that matches your paper.
WE used this kind of paint:
Okay you can’t really tell what paint…just wanted to get another hand picture in there.
And while that is drying laminate your recipes and adhere your magnets to the back.
(to laminate I use packaging tape..quick and easy and perfect for your little squares!)
seriously, this girl is amazing…
I tried to use the magnets that you get from all the local business but they were too thin and wouldn’t stick so great. So I  opted out for the heavier duty ones.
When everything is dry. You lay down your paper, your calendar and it should fit pretty snug.
Turns out the back of my frame was pretty bowed…the frame and back were all one piece…so I ran to Home Depot (well, drove acually) and got a sheet of 8×12 metal flashing and hot glued it behind than put it all down….my sister bought a frame that had a removable back so she didn’t run into this problem.
This baby was only 96 cents. Sierras have 12×12 of the exact same stuff for 6.99 a piece.

Then you just add your days with dry erase marker.

Stick on your recipes.

Store any remaining recipes around the edge. (or in an envelope on the back (go HERE to see it)

And never think again about it all month.

I sit down and load it up..then when I get ready to grocery shop I just glance at it and write down what I will need….

I love that I can just look at it and know if I need to pull out some chicken to thaw….
and I ALSO love that if we need to switch something around..(like say maybe you forget to buy hamburger buns) You just move it! I ALSO LOVE IT! LOVE IT VLOE VLVLELOVEOVELOVE.

My sister had the same frame as me…she just put a piece of magnet on each day instead of the magnet sheet behind it (you could also use velcro!)
Dinner is served!!!

(if anyone would like to hire my sister for some hand modeling…please email me for details)

In CURRENT NEWS: I’ve gotten a lot of emails about where I got my clear plastic calendar sheet. Well to disappoint you all….I got it at Sierras. Come to find out, there are not very many Sierras around. I saw one at a local scrapbooking store…and I have heard through blogger town that someone found one online for a little more money than I spent (mine was $2.99.) good luck if you are searching for one! wish I had better news for you!

AND EVEN CURRENTER NEWS someone awesome just emailed in and said she found them through oriental trading..

$5 for 16 sheets..(but that doesn’t include shipping!!!)

Comments

1. Love this idea! Visiting from New Friend Friday @ TGC.

2. This could be the way to trick me into making dinner more often via crafty fun. Following you now thanks to New Friend Friday @ TGC.

3. Stopping over from New Friend Friday… Your stuff looks so cute!

XOXOX

4. love this! I'm your new follower from Friday Follow! Have a great weekend!

5. Wow! That is awesome. Well done!

6. Came over from NFFRiday. This is the coolest. I need to make one. I don't mind cooking but deciding what to eat is a pain in the butt.

7. I love this!!!! I am going to feature it on my blog – if that is okay?

I have been following you for a while – happy Friday!!

8. So Cute! I'm a new follower. Found you on New Friend Friday.

9. Love it! Very nicely done…I love me a glue gun…it is very handy! Following you now via Friday Follow ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a great w/e

Shannon @Faith, Hope and Love

10. Love how they all turned out! Just need Coky's pic~and J's hands–AWESOME! We sure are a talented bunch! ๐Ÿ™‚

11. This is great! I'm having my first Organizing Party next Wednesday. You should link up if you get the chance.Have a great week!

12. purseblogger says:

I LOVE this! Will you make me one? I'm just starting to get into crafting but I haven't done much yet. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Following from Friday Follow

13. I always love what fun things you come up with! This is so fun! Thanks so much for linking up with us! Hope to see you back next week!

14. The 3 Bishops says:

LOVE the idea …. new follower and FAN here ๐Ÿ™‚
    Follow me @ The3Bishops.blogspot.com

15. I'm your newest follower from FF. Can't wait to read more, stop by my blog sometime! Happy FF!

-K

16. Anna Sophia says:

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

17. What a fun idea!

18. This is very cute! I did something similar (though not as cute) with the bills that recur each month. The one I made for my mom was way cuter, with scrapbook papers and all, but she used a store bought magnetic dry erase calendar.

Thanks for sharing!

Anna

19. LOVE this idea! Adding it to my list of things to do!

20. This is such a great idea!!! I am going to post about it tomorrow in my Dinner Dilemmas post. Love it!

XOOX
    Jen

21. I love this!!! found you from funtocraft!!!!

22. This looks fabulous. I would love to have this in my kitchen!

23. What a great idea!! I am so glad I found this. Can't wait to whip up one for my family. I filed this at thecraftersfilebox.com.

Thanks for sharing!

24. I love this idea! Now, if I could just get someone to come and COOK the recipes on the board, I'd be set! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for sharing!

25. I love it! Where did you find the clear calendar sheet??? Skipped over from The Crafters File Box! Please join us for our ANYTHING RELATED party on Tuesdays!
    ~Rebekah

26. This is an AWESOME idea! I may have to do this! Thanks so much!

27. Wow what a great idea!! I can't believe that you can plan for a month… I'm lucky to do the week ๐Ÿ™‚

28. What a great idea! Thanks for the tutorial!

29. What a good looking idea!

30. What a neat idea! It would definately simplify dinner!!! Thanks! Blogging is a cool way to learn from each other!

31. What a great idea!!! Everyday at our house someone is asking What's for dinner? This is a great project. Thanks!!!

32. Wow!! I am having a link party tomorrow (Tuesday) and would love to have you join in! http://www.craftedition.blogspot.com

33. Visiting from Keeping it Simple. This is so smart and really cute. TFS

34. That is such a great idea! So organized! Thanks so much for linking to Favorite Things Friday!

35. Amy Bowman says:

wow, cute idea. How long did this take to put together? Much more fun with a sisters, huh? Thanks for linking up to "AP Tuesdays"

36. Awesome! Here from The Idea Room. Might just have to stay awhile ๐Ÿ™‚

37. I LOVE this!! I featured this idea on my blog. Here is the link:

Thanks so much for sharing!

Alison

38. I love this. Such a great idea. I am still mulling around meal plan ideas of how to 'present' mine and this is now at the top of my list. I might just have to make this or a rendition of it. Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft!!

39. What a fabulous idea! Now, if I can just scrounge up enough creativity to attempt this…

40. Tiffany H says:

I saw this over on Skip to My Lou and immeadiately ran out and bought the supplies for 2…a chore board and a dinner calendar. Thank you for the great idea!

41. I am in love! I am marking this as a favorite!
    thanks for linking up to check me out saturday

42. So I loved this idea and tried to re-create it but like most crafting endeavors, I had to get creative. The biggest challenge was the magnetic paint. It was a no go for me. I ended up using an old cookie sheet & I really love how it came out! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

43. This is GENIUS and GORGEOUS! LOVE!!!!

44. Where'd you get a clear calendar??? Or did you just print one on an overhead sheet?

45. [email protected] says:

OMG! So cute! I've been wanting to do a magnet board and couldn't find any metal…I had NO idea there was magnet paint! I am soo excited!!! Thanks for sharing such a fab project!!

46. I think this would make an AWESOME wedding present – especially if you included a 3-ring binder with recipies typed up for the lucky couple.

47. Chocolate Sundaes says:

Super cute! I'd love for you to link it up to sundae scoop http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/2010/04/sundae-scoop-2-link-party.html

48. Mike & Jen says:

I love the idea, I would love to know where you found the clear calendar sheet. I haven't been able to find one.

49. This is perfect! I have to make one. Great Idea. No I wonder if my kids don't like something, are they going to move the magnet and mess up my grocery shopping. LOL That would be funny!

50. This is so Wonderful! I can't wait to make one of my own.

51. Wendi Higby says:

Please tell us where to get the calendar sheets! I have looked and haven't been able to find them. Such a great idea–I'm getting all the supplies together for friends and family to come over and make them!

52. Frugal Jen says:

This is exactly what I've been needing! Great job!!!!

53. This is very cute! I made something similar for my fridge, but I just do my meal planning weekly:

54. Wow, what a fun project and simple solution to the never-ending dinner dilemma!

55. Love the magnets boards! Will have to try this for the kids and good behavior~

56. Transforming Mom of 3 says:

I love this but I need help thinking of some recipies HELP HELP!! I am a new blogger blogspot Mom trying to make it.

57. Mama Bear says:

fun! I print out a paper one and stick it on the fridge every month.
    Where did you find the clear calendar?

58. Anonymous says:

I found the calendar on Google. Lots of options! I can't wait to do this, hopefully before baby #2 comes. It will help alot with shopping and not having to worry about "WHAT'S FOR DINNER!"

59. Stephanie at Keeping Connections says:

I love it!!! I found you through Keep It Simple. I have been rolling the idea around in my head about a menu planner…. it would make my life SOOOOO much easier! Thanks for sharing!

60. Love it!!! Like many others I would love to know where to get a clear plastic calendar sheet like yours. I looked up the website listed on the label, but nothing came up. I didn't see anything like it at any of our craft stores here either. I'm not crafty enough to figure out how to print my own out on a transparency (I don't have a printer that can do 12×12) Looks like I will need to order it somewhere online. Where did you get yours? Thanks again for your awesome ideas. You rock!!!

61. Jess(ica) says:

I have seen this question before…but I can't find an answer. Where did you find your clear calendar?
    I showed this idea to my husband and he even loves it. I just can't find the calendar anywhere!

62. hate to sound repetitive but where in the world did you find the calendar? I have searched every craft store around!

63. I found a set of 16 calendar sheets at Oriental Trading. After ship & tax, it ends up costing less than $1.00 per sheet. Granted, you then have 15 extra, but if you have friends, neighbors, family members, etc who also want to make one (and why wouldn't they?), you're all set!

Here's the link:

64. Instead of a clear calandar, you could print a calandar out on cute paper then just use the glass that came with the frame over that. The glass is great for dry erase markers so you could still write your days on it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Great, very cute idea!

65. Anonymous says:

You can find the monthly clear sheets at createforless.com. They also have a 'tin' one as well as the clear acrylic monthly sheets

66. You can get the metal backing, magnets, well basically everything at Craft Warehouse. Although I would still hit a home improvement store for the metal…

67. What an idea for a menu. So, how was the list? Have you followed it exactly?

eCommerce Solution

68. This is amazing – just what I need!

Are you still selling them? ๐Ÿ™‚ *wishful thinking*

Rachel

69. It's really good to know when you already know what's your going to cook, with this you'll be able to prepare what will be is ins your grocery list.
    How to start a small business.

70. Just checked Oriental trading – the acrylic calendar sheets are now $10 for 16.

71. LaurieStar says:

This is really an awesome idea! I think I am going to try a similar one using a metal cookie sheet so I don't have to paint! Thanks for all the inspiration on your site! ๐Ÿ™‚

72. The Good Doctor's wife says:

Such a cute idea! Found you through Time Warp Wife!

73. I think an easy way to get a clear calendar is to print one out that you like and go down to Kinko's and have a transparency made (that's the teacher in me).

74. I second the fedex/kinko's idea (and yes, I think it IS a teacher thing, ha!).

I called my local store and described what I was doing & needed…okay I think you need to sit down before I tell you how much they'd charge for B&W; transparencies.

Sitting? Good. For a 8.5" x 11", a whopping FIFTY CENTS! And for an 11" x 17", a DOLLAR!!!

Needless to say, I'm going there today to get started on this project! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you!

75. I have read and re-read thsi post many times. I finally got super motivated to try to copy it with what I had. Here are the pictures: http://hurleythurston.blogspot.com/2013/01/magnetic-menu-planning-board.html

Thank you for sharing your talent!!
    ~hurley

1. […] and soon as i have enough I send out the info! onto number 3…. getting loads of requests for menu boards. and it’s great. everytime I go into the local scrapbook store (SCRAP N fanatics for all you […]

2. […] the note in the tutorial on where to buy), scrapbook paper and craft paint. The tutorial I used is here and the supplies may be cheaper locally. The primer was little pricey and there was more than […]